Top 10 Strangest Things Surgically Removed from the Human Body
Photo: Indeed/Digital Vision/Getty Images
Throughout the annals of medical science doctors have removed random foreign objects from the body. Yet even today doctors are still baffled by the strange and bizarre things they come across in the emergency room. Whether it’s by accident or on purpose, leave it to the average Joe to get creative, test the limits of the human body, and still survive.
10. Microphone Stand
Photo: TRBfoto/Photodisc/Getty Images
If you think you’ve had a bad day, just ask Michigan musician Jessie Wickham the definition of a bad day. A heavily pregnant Wickham (she was two weeks away from giving birth) was getting her children ready for school when she became dizzy, fell down the stairs, crashed through the banister, and impaled herself on a microphone stand. The microphone stand entered her chest, narrowly missing her heart and her unborn child. She was rushed to hospital by helicopter with the 3-foot stand still in her chest.
Thankfully, the 34-year-old made it to hospital, delivered a healthy baby through a C-section, and lived to tell her story of the worst day ever.
9. High Pressure Air Hose
Photo: Huntstock/Getty Images
A New Zealand man went to work and ended his day literally twice his size. Steven McCormack, a truck driver, slipped off his rig and landed smack on a high pressure air hose that connected his truck’s brakes to a compressed air supply. McCormack instantly puffed up like the Michelin Man as air rushed into his body at the staggering rate of 100 pounds per square inch. The truck driver says, “In a matter of minutes, my body blew to twice its size. I was blowing up like a football.” Co-workers tried to remove the hose but it was lodged. Luckily they managed to turn it off and stop McCormack from blowing up.
McCormack was rushed to hospital where the hose was removed. There was one thing the doctors were unable to remove-- the air that filled McCormack’s body. Instead he had to wait for it to leave the old-fashioned way…as flatulence.
8. A Potato
Photo: Davies and Starr/Digital Vision/Getty Images
What does a British religious figure do when he turns up to the ER with a potato lodged in his behind? He blames it on a curtain-hanging accident. Duh!
The 50-something, unidentified clergyman says he fell back onto a table while hanging curtains and landed on the offending potato. Oh, and he was also naked at the time. The highly embarrassed vicar was adamant that it was not a sex game gone wrong. Repeat, it was NOT a sex game gone wrong. Nurse Trudi Watson said, “He explained to me, quite sincerely, he had been hanging curtains naked in the kitchen when he fell backwards on to the kitchen table and on to a potato.” Hmm, sounds a little fishy. Who hangs their curtains naked and has that sort of aim when they’re falling backwards? But who am I to question the story of a man of God?
7. Motorcycle Handlebars
Photo: D2 Productions/The Image Bank/Getty Images
Brian Shipwash’s surprise marriage proposal didn’t quite go according to plan. It was nonetheless a surprise. The North Carolina motorcyclist was roaring down a highway with his lady love Shandra Miller clinging to his back when the unthinkable happened. They crashed. The accident sent both skidding off the bike. Shandra suffered only a scraped knee. Brian, however, was not so lucky and had been impaled by the bike’s handlebars. Fearing he would die and lying with handlebars stuck six inches into his stomach, Brian quickly popped the question.
Brian reached into his pocket, pulled out a bloodstained ring and asked Shandra to marry him. He recalls, “I said something like, ‘I know this is not the best in the world, but will you marry me?’” She said “yes” and Brian was rushed to hospital to have those pesky handlebars removed from his gut. The moral of this story - never let a pair of handlebars get in the way of love.
6. Light Bulb
Photo: Diamond Sky Images/Photodisc/Getty Images
Being in prison is bad enough, but waking up with a light bulb stuck in your rear end while in prison has got to be as bad as it gets. And that’s exactly what happened to one Pakistani inmate. Well, that’s his story and he’s sticking to it.
Fateh Mohammad, who was serving a four-year sentence for illegally making liquor, says he woke up with discomfort in his abdomen and apparently had no idea a light bulb was lodged where the sun don’t shine. He says, “When I woke up I felt a pain in my lower abdomen, but later in hospital, they told me this. I don't know who did this to me. Police or other prisoners.” Yeah, right.
The undamaged light bulb was removed in an operation lasting an hour and half. Dr. Farrukh Aftab at Nishtar Hospital said, “We had to take it out intact. Had it been broken inside, it would be a very, very complicated situation.” It’s safe to assume Mr. Mohammad won’t be entertaining similar bright ideas in the future.